Pro bono / volunteering opportunity
You will play a key role in the practical deliver of our inclusive cycling sessions with the help of cycle instructors.
Where you can volunteer
Croydon Arena, Herne Hill Velodrome and / or Ladywell Day Centre (Lewisham)
When you can volunteer
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday
- Time commitment requested: 2 x four hour sessions per month
- Basic Cycle Training, ABC bike check
- Disability Awareness
- Electronic participant signing in training
Duties may include (under supervision of cycle instructors):
- Assisting in preparing bikes for sessions and putting them away afterwards
- Assisting in adjusting cycles for participants; for example adjusting seat position and / or pedals
- Assisting in fitting helmets to participants
- Ensuring cycles are in the right place when not in use
- Basic check of bikes and notify cycle instructors of any problems with the bikes; for example, pumping up tyres, checking brakes and chains
- Cycling alongside or with participants (including tandem piloting)
- Cycling around the track at busy times
- Ensuring the ground rules of the sessions are being met
- Ability to follow instructions, and to ask questions to clarify information
- An interest in and understanding of people and an ability to demonstrate patience, sensitivity and reliability
- A commitment to relate to disabled people in a non-judgemental way and to treat everyone as equals.
- It helps to have a sense of humour and be flexible in your approach to volunteering as this role can be quite varied, depending on the session and the participants
- The ability to work with a range of people from a variety of social and cultural backgrounds with a variety of impairments
- Willingness to attend training, support and supervision meetings as required
- Carrying out tasks according to our policies and standards, in particular confidentiality, equal opportunities and health and safety
- Ability to work as part of a team, and to work with WfW staff and volunteers
- Be a keen cyclist and have the willingness to volunteer outdoors in (almost) all weather conditions
- It would be advantageous to be able and willing to drive a short wheel base van but not essential
Staff you will work with:
Volunteer supervisor, cycle instructors including session supervisors (responsible for volunteers at sessions), other volunteers, WfW office staff
Would you like to help?
We offer all our volunteers training and support and we can also cover some expenses. In return, you can develop your skills for the workplace, meet new people and work as part of our team, please get in touch to learn more or fill in the form below.
This form can be provided in a variety of formats, please email us to request an alternative.