You will play an important role providing refreshments for our inclusive cycling sessions. Refreshments keep people hydrated during physical activity and are a focus point for social interaction which people value.
Where you can volunteer?
Croydon Arena, Herne Hill Velodrome and / or Ladywell Day Centre (Lewisham)
When you can volunteer?
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday
Time commitment requested: Two x four hour sessions per month
- Setting out the refreshment desk before / after the session
- Ensuring adequate supplies for the session
- Assisting participant and carers in preparation of tea and coffee when required
- Ensure area is kept tidy and presentable
- Disability Awareness, First aid (Mandatory if don’t currently hold)
- Basic Cycle Training, ABC bike check (if requested)
- Good communication skills
- An interest and understanding of people and an ability to demonstrate patience, sensitivity and reliability
- A commitment to relate to disabled people in a non-judgemental way and to treat everyone as equals.
- A friendly, professional and welcoming manner and the ability to relate to a wide variety of participants
- Ability to follow instructions, and to ask questions to clarify information
- It helps to have a sense of humour and be flexible in your approach to volunteering
- The ability to work with a range of people from a variety of social and cultural backgrounds with a variety of impairments
- Willingness to attend training, support and supervision meetings as required
- Carrying out tasks according to our policies and standards, in particular confidentiality, equal opportunities and health and safety
- Ability to work as part of a team, and to work with WfW staff and volunteers
- Enjoy cycling and be willing to volunteer outdoors in (almost) all weather conditions
Staff you will work with:
- Volunteer supervisor, cycle instructors including session supervisors (responsible for volunteers at sessions), other volunteers, WfW office staff
Would you like to volunteer for one of our roles?
If you are interested in any of our roles and think you are suitable, please fill in the form below or call 020 7346 8482.